|Spoiler Alert: This article/section contains details about future plot lines described in the light novels, not covered in the anime. Do not proceed unless you want to be spoiled.|
Angels (天使, Tenshi?) are the absolute shield that protects the Spirits; its form, shape, and even its function, all reflect on the Spirit itself. Angels can take on many forms, from giant monsters to deadly swords and even instruments, all of which seem to display some special offensive power. They also have either an alternative form or a variety of abilities for different situations a Spirit may face.
According to Mio, whereas the attribute of an Angel comes from the Sephira Crystal, the appearance and abilities change depending on the personality and desires of the host. For example, Beast is able to channel the powers of the first ten Angels through the form of ten swords hovering around her. Meanwhile, Shido is shown varying between fully replicating the Angels of the Spirits that he has sealed and only partially manifesting the powers of the Angel.
From Phantom's surprise at Origami having Metatron when she still had the Sephira Crystal, angels are contained within Sephira Crystal. According to Nia, all Spirits, despite their memory loss, have an instinctive knowledge of how their angels work. For example, Origami was able to use Metatron masterfully, despite only being bonded with her Sephira Crystal moments before.
Lastly, the Angels can be re-summoned in ideal condition even after suffering critical damage beforehand. Both Kurumi and Tohka have been in battles leaving their Angels in an unrepairable state of damage, only for the Angel in question to reappear good as new next time. As shown during Origami's fight against Kotori in the Spirit battle royal, Spirits can re-materialize their Angel as many times as they please so long as they still have enough Reiryoku to do so.
The Inverse Form counterpart of an Angel is called a Demon King.
List of Angels
|Raphael||Kaguya Yamai & Yuzuru Yamai|
|Rasiel||Nia Honjo & Kurumi Tokisaki|
|Ain Soph Aur||Mio Takamiya|
|Eden||Rinne Sonogami & Rio Sonogami||Game exclusive|
|Shekinah||Tohka Yatogami||Movie exclusive|
- All Angels (except Eden, Ain Soph Aur, Ain Soph and Ain) are named after actual Angels from Judeo-Christian mythology.
- The "main" Angels used by the Spirits in the main series are the Archangels/Seraphim that correspond to a specific Sephirot in the Kabbalah Tree of Life.
- In the Light Novels, each angel is written alongside kanji that gives a title describing their powers:
- Sandalphon: (鏖殺公, lit., "Massacre Ruler")
- Zadkiel: (氷結傀儡, lit., "Freezing Puppet")
- Zafkiel: (刻々帝, lit., "Emperor of Time")
- Camael: (灼爛殲鬼, lit., "Bright Burning Annihilating Demon")
- Raphael: (颶風騎士, lit., "Hurricane Knight")
- Gabriel: (破軍歌姫, lit., "Army-Breaking Songstress")
- Haniel: (贋造魔女, lit., "Witch of Forgery")
- Metatron: (絶滅天使, lit., "Angel of Extinction")
- Rasiel: (囁告篇帙, lit., "Tome of Revelation")
- Michael: (封解主, lit., "Seal-Removing Lord")
- According to Tachibana's Twitter post, Metatron, Sandalphon, and Camael rank among the top class of Angels in raw destructive power.